Defending the Second Amendment:
“Ted Cruz is one of our nation’s leading defenders of the Second Amendment. For over a decade, Ted has fought tirelessly to defend our constitutional right to keep and bear arms, and his leadership was absolutely critical to our major victories before the U.S. Supreme Court.” – NRA executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre
- Led the fight in Congress to stop legislation that would restrict the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding Americans.
- Authored legislation to strengthen citizens’ Second Amendment rights and allow interstate firearms sales.
- Argued on behalf of 31 states in District of Columbia v. Heller where the U.S. Supreme Court overturned a ban on firearms in a 5-4 landmark decision.
- Awarded the NRA’s 2010 Carter-Knight Freedom Fund, which “rewards exemplary activities in the support and protection of the right to Keep and Bear Arms” for his work in the Heller and McDonald.
- Sponsored concealed-carry reciprocity legislation.