Trusted Conservative Leadership
- To shrink the size and power of the federal government, the Cruz Five for Freedom plan eliminates the IRS, the Department of Education, the Department of Energy, the Department of Commerce, and the Department of Housing and Urban Development. As President, Ted Cruz will appoint heads of each of those agencies whose sole charge will be to wind them down and determine whether any programs need to be preserved.
- Ted Cruz will empower the people by reducing the alphabet soup of Agencies, Bureaus, Commissions, and other programs that prop up special interests, at the taxpayer’s expense. The Cruz Five for Freedom Spending Plan identifies an initial 25 programs.
- The Cruz plan re-institutes President Reagan’s Grace Commission to assess federal spending levels and evaluate areas of waste and fraud. Ted Cruz would appoint private-sector leaders to serve on a commission that, as President Reagan put it, would “work like blood hounds” to improve government efficiency. The original Grace Commission report recommended 2,478 “cost-cutting, revenue-enhancing” suggestions, without raising taxes, weakening defense, or harming social welfare.
- A President Cruz will hold Congress accountable by enacting a strong Balanced Budget Amendment and requiring that a majority of members approve any major, cost-inducing regulation. And he will reduce costs by instituting a hiring freeze and federal pay reforms.
- Fought to protect citizens’ free speech against unlawful and unjust targeting and designations by the IRS.
- Opposed budget increases that failed to bring about meaningful spending reforms.
- Advocated for meaningful reforms to boost economic growth, including repealing Obamacare, deregulation, and expansion of energy production to take on the staggering unemployment conditions in the country.
- Opposed raising the debt ceiling without any meaningful reforms to the out-of-control Washington spending.
- Voted against establishment politicians’ Christmas handouts to K-Street.
- Opposed sugar subsidies and favoring a few over the American taxpayer.
- Voted to repeal the Renewable Fuel Standard so that all can compete on an equal footing.
- Opposed budget deals that reauthorized the Export-Import bank, a handmaiden of the Washington Cartel.