The Truth about the Gang of Eight Immigration Bill
- The Gang of Eight Bill in effect establishes a penalty on employers for hiring citizens and legal immigrants over immigrants granted Registered Provisional Immigrant (RPI) status under this legislation. That is utterly and completely indefensible.
- The Schumer/Hoeven/Corker amendment is nearly 1,200 pages long and was just filed last Friday afternoon. We saw with Obamacare what happens when Congress rushes to pass such unwieldy legislation.
- The Schumer/Hoeven/Corker “border security” amendment to the deal doesn’t require that the border actually be secured, nor does it require any security enhancements before legalization occurs.
- This legislation makes the same mistake of the 1986 amnesty — legalization today for the false promise of border security tomorrow. It will encourage more illegal immigration and must be stopped.
- Whereas, our nation’s immigration system is broken and must be fixed.
- Whereas, any immigration reform must lead with real border security first.
- Whereas, the Gang of Eight’s bill does not secure the border and gives amnesty to those here illegally.
- Whereas, legal immigration should be supported and encouraged.
- Resolved, I request the House of Representatives reject the Gang of Eight’s bill and instead pass legislation that actually secures our border.